"Rock Bottom became the foundation on which I rebuilt my life."
- J K Rowling
DO YOU EVER FEEL STUCK IN A RUT?
Being stuck in a rut can drag you down, make you feel depressed, or as if life is something you just go through but no longer enjoy.
You become this way slowly without realising it; until one day you wonder what happened to your life, and when did this happen to you!
For many daily life is designed by some form of routine which can't be avoided, like going to work 8 hours a day, taking the kids to school each day, cooking, cleaning???
Another reason behind routine is the safety barrier…where we get comfortable with our lives and feel secure in them, so why change?
However, sometimes routine can start to get us down, leave us with a feeling of dissociation and start causing problems in relationships, work and daily life in general…and we gradually become unhappy.
This is the time for CHANGE and FAST!!!
Dig yourself out of the hole and start enjoying life again.
One of the memorable statements that was said after Steve Irwin's tragic death in 2006 was by his wife Terri Irwin, when she said, this was something Steve always mentioned to his children and he also genuinely lived by this…
"Don't let the little things get you down."
That is a great statement and a powerful ingredient to living a happy, stress free life out of the rut.
It's when we hold things back, start worrying about things and harbouring grudges that many problems occur in life…mental, emotional and physical problems.
When things are allowed to 'build up' we get overwhelmed. Most of us don't even enjoy 'our own' company when we feel like this.
"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old but on building the new."
* TIPS TO GET OUT OF THE RUT…
- Do at least one thing everyday that is different to your normal routine, this could be something as simple as taking a short break and going for a walk, sitting down to read a chapter of a book or any other hobby you once enjoyed.
- Take up a new hobby, make sure that you give yourself some times throughout the day to just enjoy something you like doing.
- Shake up meal times by having something different, you can either try a different recipe or order different take out, try foods from different cultures.
- Get out and meet new people, there are many ways you can achieve this, join a gym, club or attend a self-imp rovement class or hobby class. Attend networking groups like BNI, join organisations like Zonta, Rotary, The Lions Club, Toastmasters.
- Drive a different way to work or if possible walk or start cycling, not only will this break the rut you are in but also get you fitter...if you can take a scenic route where you are by the sea or can see the mountains or the trees do so...being in nature is so good for the soul.
- Take up a new sport; there are many types of sport with something for the fitter to the more moderate forms of exercise.
- Do something special for someone else without expecting something in return...make someone's day.
- Do something each day that is totally out of character for you, start off with small changes and work your way up to bigger ones.
- If you are stuck at home with children then change your routine throughout the day, don't always do the same chore at the same time, shake up the way you do your housework.
- Make small changes around the home or work area.
- De-clutter your home or work area; it is surprising how being surrounded by clutter can get you down.
- Be very grateful and appreciate what you already have.
Go ahead! Select AT LEAST one thing from the list above and just do it!
We are now 1/4 of the way through this year so it is important that you make some changes NOWso that 2013 will be your most awesome year yet!!
"There are many peaks and valleys in life. You must focus on the peaks or the valleys can pull you down. Life is a peak-to-peak experience."
- Dr Robert Schuller
Contact me now...
I can help you 'get out of the rut.'